Suffering from flu and cold. Have sore throat. Taking medicine. How to get cured?

I am suffering already from flu or from cold I don't know last 3 days. What I am doing right now is taking a lot of liquids, (tea, water, fresh orange juice), also twice a day taking Nimesulide as I am sure I am having inflammation on my throat and also I am taking Helicidine which is anti-cough remedy. now almost all symptoms went away after 4 days of treatment but I am having soar trout when I am taking any meal or drinking something and also almost my voice is lost and I can't talk properly as voice is so quite and so low I can't speak. :( Could you recommend me something to do?
I am very agains of Anti_biotic therapy and do you think it's necessary or should I wait a bit ?

Thanks in advance.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later

You seem to have developed viral laryngitis subsequent to viral infection.
Viral laryngitis is a medical condition that causes inflammation of the vocal cords. This may cause fever, sore throat, or difficulty swallowing. Other symptoms may include a weak or hoarse-sounding voice. Since this condition is caused by a virus and not bacteria, antibiotics are not an effective treatment method. 

Viral laryngitis typically disappears on its own without any specific medical treatment, although there are a variety of home treatment methods that may help to ease some of the symptoms. 

Treatment options for viral laryngitis may include,using sore throat lozenges, or taking over-the-counter pain medications and hot liquids.
Since you are doing almost everything which is required to be done, I can add only couple of things for you.

Rest your voice completely.This is very important as it would help your vocal cords to rest.
If your nose is no more blocked,you may stop putting OTRIVIN nasal drops.
Stop smoking, if you do.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Suffering from flu and cold. Have sore throat. Taking medicine. How to get cured? 4 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks a lot for your answer and everything i s clear just having a one more question.

As I wrote in previous email I am taking Nimesulide 2x day so should I continue it and if so, for how long you recommend me to continue it?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later

If you don't have any pain,then you may stop Nimesulide.

Follow-up: Suffering from flu and cold. Have sore throat. Taking medicine. How to get cured? 3 hours later
Hello again,

But i was taking it for anti-inflammation not for a pain doctor?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
You may stop NIMESULIDE as the only symptom you have at the moment is loss of voice. You may continue steam inhalation coupled with hot liquids and rest to your vocal cords. That should be sufficient for you.