Suffering from flu. Having stomach ache and loose bowel movements with blood in it. Any treatment?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I had flu for,5 days now and last nite had pooh and it was blood and loose and tummy hurts
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
You are most probably suffering from a viral gastroenteritis however some serious possibilities like gastrointestinal bleeding or intraabdominal infection need to be ruled out by a thorough evaluation.
The best next step would be to consult a gastroenterologist or your doctor and get a stool routine test done . This along with a physical examination might help in confirmation of the diagnosis and help the doctor to start appropriate treatment .
The treatment mostly includes the following ,
1. Most important is to prevent dehydration by taking plenty of fluids and sips of oral rehydration solutions.
2. Probiotics like lactobacillus ( enterogermina etc) and zinc supplements will help in faster recovery.
3. The pain can temporarily be treated with antispasmodic analgesics like dicylomine and acetaminophen or mefenamic acid as per your doctors prescription.
The loose motions if severe might need antidiarrhoeal agents like racecadrotil for time being .
Occasionally after a stool examination or complete blood counts , your doctor might need to start a course of antibiotics like ofloxacin , Cefixime etc.

So please do not neglect your symptoms and seek medical help promptly .
Meanwhile keep yourself well hydrated and avoid any strenuous activity or outside food , a soft digestible diet is preferable .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.