Suffering from fishy odor from vagina and low mood. What treatment should be done?

i have become suicidal due a bad body odor i have developed, sometimes i think its coming form my vagina, smells like fish sumtimes my butt even smells like fish. but my overall body odor sumtimes at its worst smells like garbage and fish on others day. i have realized my underwear does not smell like fish only the rear part occasionally. i can not pinpoint where its coming from it comes. all i know is i cant live with whats going on i have heard of TMAU not sure if thats what it is but i dont have health insurance to investifate that, cant afford it. and clinic is so booked they said i would have to wait 3 months for a dr. appt. when i did XXXXXXX with them one they did not take me seriously. i dont think the ER will either so i dont know what to do. nothing perfumed smells good with my odor.ive tried going vegetarian. i bathe regularly, ive switched soaps, detergents, tried new clothes. please take me seriously and help me, my life depends on it
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Schizophrenia
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 9 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     23 year old female
•     Known case of mild anemia and tonsillitis
•     Complaints of: odor from body (Vagina), crying spell, low mood, restricted to house and self harm ideas.
•     Tests are negative

I can understand your pain and concern in current situation. Sometime there is enhance sensitivity of body to certain odor (like fish) associated with depression. In such case patient had bad body odor but same time others are not able to smell it. I suspect similar condition with you.

In such cases following steps will help you:
-Keep proper hygiene as you are already taking.
-Do not focus or ignore others behavior.
-Meet psychiatrist must, for treatment of depression and self harm ideation. Many time increase sensitivity for odor cure after treatment of depression. As a psychiatrist I have seen similar cases improving.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Suffering from fishy odor from vagina and low mood. What treatment should be done? 1 hour later
Pple tell me to my face that i smell. And i myself smell it. After i bathe i smell within 2-3 hours. What do you think the odor is from. it smells sometimes like fish or garbage or even farts.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

If you are not able to find source of bad odor then most probably it is from sweat.

Some medical conditions may change how much a person sweats, while others can alter how we sweat, subsequently changing the way we smell. For example, hyperthyroidism (an over-active thyroid gland) or the menopause can make people sweat much more, while liver disease, kidney disease, or diabetes can change the consistency of sweat so that the person smells differently.

Although you need to get investigated for cause but following steps will help you:
-Drink plenty of water
-Drink juice daily
-Take vitamins daily
-Bath 2 times a day with antibacterial soap
-Wear clean clothing, socks and underwear every day.
-Clothing: natural fibers allow your skin to breathe, resulting in better evaporation of sweat. Natural-made fibers include wool, silk or cotton.
-While bathing, add alcohol or white vinegar to a mug of water and use it to rinse the armpits. This will definitely help in lessening the body odour.
-Deodorant or antiperspirant - deodorants make the skin more acidic, making the environment more difficult for bacteria to thrive.
-Spicy foods: curry, garlic and some other spicy (piquant) foods have the potential to make some people's sweat more pungent.
-Have regular motion and keep bowel clean. High fiber diet help in this.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.