Suffering from filarial. Got fever, rashes and enlarged legs with pain. Are these symptoms of filarial?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Avtuallu my query is , my mom suffering in phyleria for past one month. Overnight it started with high fever and enlarged legs. After that with more red rashes and pain it was unbearable for her. now after treatment for almost one month , enlargement and rashes had gone down to some ectent. But frequent fever and leg pain is non changeable. From two days before , leg skin starting to peal out and my doctor telling me that vwe are in right direction only. Kindly advice me whether all these things are symptoms of phyleria only and whether we in right way. pl
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 1 hour later

Thanks for writing Mr XXXXXXX

The symptoms you are describing is same that of Filarial leg only. Frequent fever and leg pain in a filarial leg can occur due to secondary complications like infected lymph nodes, skin ulceration, cellulitis (infection of skin) etc. Pealing of skin can be a feature of cellulitis too. Pealing of skin can occur when new healthy skin replaces the old thick skin formed due to filariasis. But if your mom's leg is not red or not warmth and if the swelling is not increasing, then nothing to worry, as the disease / swelling takes its own course of time to reduce.

1. Antifilarial treatment should be continued
2. Care of leg - avoid walking bare foot, avoid injuries/prick to leg, keeping leg and toes clean
3. Crepe bandage application continously for 24 hrs except during bathing
4. Elevation of the leg over 2 pillows while at rest/sitting/ lying down on bed
5. Avoid hanging down of leg for long time
6. Antibiotics coverage can be taken if suspected cellulitis / infection is there. Discuss with your doctor.
7. If she is Diabetic, it should be brought under control by diet or medications.

These measures will decrease swelling and thereby pain. They also help in preventing secondary infection of your leg.

Hope i have cleared your doubt. Wish her a good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from filarial. Got fever, rashes and enlarged legs with pain. Are these symptoms of filarial? 20 minutes later
thank you very much sir
thank you sir one more query is that ,
will this frequent occurance of fever will deteriorate or will continue throughout ?
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 10 minutes later
Fever spells are mainly because of secondary infection occurring on and off. Once the swelling comes down and healthy skin gets replaced, with no ulcers or infection in the skin, the fever spells will also come down.

Even though the main treatment is Anti-filarial medications, personal care and hygiene of filarial leg prevents complications and improves quality of life.