Suffering from fever, throat pain and dry cough. Having body pain. What can be done?

i am suffering from fever and throat pain , dry cough. my fever is not stopped till now, i took tablets. body pain also is there.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
It appears that you could be having a possible Viral fever which is supported by headache, fever, running nose, cough.

Fever is when temperature is 100 degree farenheit or more usually. Normal body temperature is usually 98.6 degree farenheit.

Usually viral fevers will subside on their own within a week or two unless they get complicated.

I suggest the following treatment options currently:
1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
2) For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits.
3) Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
4) Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables.

Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must if you worsen - develop high grade fever, severe pain while swallowing and so on. So seek prompt medical help as and when required. Proper antibiotic therapy will help you in faster recovery.

You can take cough suppressants or lozenges if the cough is not subsiding. Also if yellow color sputum or shortness of breath develops then you may need to consult with your Doctor for proper antibiotics.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.