Suffering from fever, nausea, headache, hot flashes and missed periods. What should I do?

hi there...i have been sick for almost a month now. it started with a headache and nausea with a fever. after 2 weeks, i went to the dr(2 weeks ago) and he didn't know what to do. he put me on a different diabetes med as metformin can upset the stomach and checked for a bladder infection (didn't have one). i continued to be nauseous on and off for 1.5 weeks and then this last wed started getting awful headaches again with nausea and low grade fever around 100.2. the fever goes away when i go to sleep but starts again late morning. i have hot flashes (am 51 and think i am starting menopause-take 3 mo. bc pill so i get my period once a month-didn't get it this last week after stopping the pill). i can't take much more of this. any suggestions of what to do? i decided to stay home from work monday if not better and go back to dr. just afraid he won't know what to thank you
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Perimenopausal syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. All your symptoms are due do Perimenopausal syndrome. This is due to production of less oestrogen hormone from the ovaries and you may experience this up to menopause. Hot flashes, breast tenderness, Irregular periods, tiredness and mood swing(Depression) are some of the symptoms. Often your doctor can diagnose perimenopausal syndrome based on your symptoms. Blood test to check the level of hormones at different periods of the menstrual cycles will be beneficial to diagnose it. For control of hot flash I would advise my patient to take low dose birth control pill or progesterone injection. To reduce the symptoms you need to exercise, maintain healthy weight, good quality sleep, quite smoking and alcohol if any. Calcium rich diet like milk and multivitamins. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.