Suffering from fever in evenings, dry and barking cough. What is the remedy?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Question
I gave an 8 year old son. 55 pounds. Feverish in the evenings and night. On and off for the Last 5 days. A couple days he ran no fever at all. He also has a dry sounding, barking cough. He says he's not achy, just tired. No other complaints at all. What could this be? And should I take him to see his pediatrician.
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Brief Answer: yes better to show him to the pediatrician. Detailed Answer: Hi, Your son may be having viral layringitis which is the cause of barking cough. As he has fever for nearly 5 days it is better to show him to the pediatrician. This can spread down as bronchitis in his chest. He may need some medicines to give him symptomatic relief. Antibiotics may not be needed. Good luck God bless Dr uma