Suffering from fever, coughing and running nose. Fever is not reducing. Suggest the medication?

My son age 16Yrs is suffering from fever for last 3 days... 102F, after taking peracetamole it goes down to 100/99.5F but comes back to 102/103F
We got blood test done which ruled out Malaria and Dengue
There is no body pain
He is coughing and has running nose as well
Doctor has prescribed Cefpodoxime - O 200mg twice a day
Someone suggested to change antibiotic to Azitrhromicin 500 for three days, should we do that? Or Cefpodoxime is good to continue?
Is there any possibility of Typhoid. Should I go for Vidal?
His fever is not coming down, what additional medicine should I give to control his fever
Should we give Aceclofenac + Paracetamole instead of just paracetamole to control fever
Please advice
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue Cefpodoxime.

Detailed Answer:

Good evening and thanks for posting your query.

Please continue with cefpodoxime, it is a very good antibiotic which has a broad spectrum of action, since you have already started your son on it, there is no need to change the antibiotic and changing antibiotic might cause more harm if it is typhoid.

Cefpodoxime is very good against typhoid too, if your son has that, it will take care of that as well.

Most fevers are viral in nature and don't generally require any antibiotics unless there is a chance of superadded bacterial infection suspected. If your son has viral fever, that could explain the continued fever despite antibiotics. You can do tepid spmging to get relief from fever, if it is viral fever, then it will automatically subside on it's own within a weeks time.

But once started, one should complete the full course of antibiotic to be on the safer side.

I would suggest you to do a widal test and blood culture for typhoid, blood culture can be done right away, but WIDAL becomes positive after 5 days of fever, and it needs to be repeated after 3 days to one week to see if the widal titres are increasing or decreasing. An increasing widal titre will again confirm if it is typhoid.

Azithromycin is also a good alternative, but as I have explained, there is no need to change the medicine now.

Hope this effectively addressed your concern, although you are more than welcome to write back to me if you need any clarification or if you have further concerns.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Warm regards.
Follow-up: Suffering from fever, coughing and running nose. Fever is not reducing. Suggest the medication? 14 minutes later
thanks for the answer one open question still - should I continue with paracetamol or change to a combination of aceclofenac paracetamol or any other alternative
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue with plain paracetamol.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again Mr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

You should continue with plain paracetamol, no need to change it to any other combination, as the combinations may not be of any help in reducing fever.

Though I would suggest you to make sure the paracetamol is given in adequate dosage, If your son's body weight is above 50 Kgs, I would suggest a dosage of 650mg of paracetamol every 6th hourly. That would keep the fever away.

You should also understand that, fever is a protective mechanism of the body, body raises temperature so that many chemical reactions which take place with the help of enzymes (proteins which act as catalysts), can happen at a more rapid rate, there by eliminating the causative agent early.

I hope this answers your question. Please accept this answer and close the discussion if you have no further questions.