Suffering from fever, cold and cough. Salmonella thyphi O showed - 1:80. Is this a sign of typhoid?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi i was suffering fever, cold and cough past 3-4 days. Once everything subsided i decided to get check up before resuming work , although i had no traces of any kind of fever doctor suggested i might be having initial stage typhoid as the reading for salmonella Thyphi "O" showed as 1;80. So does this mean i have typhoid??
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 15 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your question.

It is difficult to say with that report. It could be due to present infection , past infection or even cross infection.

A single reading of 1: 160 and a 4 fold rise in the repeat test are more suggestive of typhoid.

I hope that answers your question.

If there are no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Suffering from fever, cold and cough. Salmonella thyphi O showed - 1:80. Is this a sign of typhoid? 25 minutes later
when can I have a repeat test. But currently i am perfectly healthy, so is it even required to get a test done ?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 minutes later
Since you have no symptoms now, there is no need to have the test done again.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini