Suffering from fever and wheezing. Prescribed Omnacortil and Advent Syrup. Sugest

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My child is three months old. He has been having moderate wheezing problem from the beginning.From yesterday he has been suffering from fever and wheezing has become more pronounced.
The doctor put him under nebulizer and prescribed the following medicines.
1.Omnacortil Syrup (Prednisolone Sodium Phosphate)
2.Advent Syrup(Amoxycillin and Pottassium Clavulanate Oral Suspension).
Is it sufficient. Do you suggest any anti-allergic Syrup containing Cetrizine.
Kindly answer immediately.
XXXXXX Cell No.0000 - YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 43 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your child seems having an episode of wheeze associated respiratory tract infection.

The medication prescribed by the doctor is sufficient.

Continue the medication as advised by the pediatrician.

Omnacortil will work as an allergic medication.

Cetirizine is usually not indicated in children below the age of 6 months.

Continue nebulization, Advent, Omnacortil as prescribed by your doctor and be in close follow up with the doctor to know the improvement in child wheezing.

If there is cough associated, you can go for cough drops containing mucolytic agent which will help the child to clear the mucus.

Watch for increased respiratory rate, indrawing of chest with respirations, difficult in feeding, and bluish discoloration of lips and limbs which are suggestive of progression of the problem, requires immediate medical attention.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from fever and wheezing. Prescribed Omnacortil and Advent Syrup. Sugest 10 minutes later
The child is sleeping well.I shall revert back to-morrow

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for getting back.

Observe the child for his symptoms.

If he is comfortable, active, pink and warm, having no difficulty in breathing and feeding, you can consult the pediatrician as advised by him.

If child have any discomfort, revert back to the doctor today.

And I wish your child a speedy recovery.

Regards.