Suffering from fever and cough. Got basal infection. Prescribed augmentin and craxin. Continue antibiotics?

My daughter is 4yrs old. She is suffering from fever and cough from last 4 days. Today we done xray and got basal infection. Before xray, doctor prescibed augmentin dds and after xray he added craxin. Please suggest shall we continue with both antibiotics.
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, continue augmention; request for sputum test

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

I can understand your concern, and shall try my level best to help you. Yes, please continue with augmentin DDS, but I would require your help with the craxin. Please write back to me with the contents of the medication craxin, only after that will I be able to help you with further advice on the medication. Also, I would recommend a sputum test to be sent to the laboratory for analysis and culture investigations.

As your daughter is coughing, it should not be very difficult to obtain a sputum sample. If she is not producing sputum, this can be promoted with the help of an expectorant syrup, steam inhalation and sips of lukewarm water through the day.

A sputum analysis is beneficial by confirming the infection and also providing information on the most suitable antibiotic that can be used to treat your daughter's infection.

I hope this information helps you. Awaiting your reply to help you further on craxin (please read the contents on the label, strip or the box). Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications as well.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Suffering from fever and cough. Got basal infection. Prescribed augmentin and craxin. Continue antibiotics? 3 hours later
sorry. it is crixan ( clarithromycin).plz suggest us crixan & augmentin DDS can be give together. ?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, safe to be given together

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again and thank you so much for that clarification.

Yes, it is safe to take both crixan and augmentin DDS together. There have been no documented cases of any interactions and so these medications are safe to be given together. Please initiate the same at the earliest for an early recovery.

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery, and a beautiful and healthy life thereafter.

God bless.