Suffering from fatty liver. Is it safe to drink alcohol? Is this curable?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi ,

I am suffering from fatty liver and how could we know it is cured. It is due to alcohol and can i drink 2 beers every week end will that affect my fatty liver and can i eat all.Is this XXXXXXX i am so much afraid of this where my mental pressure is building.Please help me to build my confidence will it be cured and what should i do
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Fatty liver is fully curable or reversible. If untreated it can lead first to metabolic syndrome and eventually to cirrhosis of liver.
The treatment for this condition is as follows
1. Complete abstinence from alcohol.(including wines and beers)
2. Plenty of water.
3. Low fat, moderate carbohydrate and high protein diet.
4. Regular exercise for at least 45 minutes.
5. Medications a. tricholine citrate+ sorbitol (for at least 6months)
b. ornithine compounds (for one month)
6. Repeat ultrasound after 6 months. If there is complete resolution then medications can be stopped. Otherwise they should be continued.
Therefore do not get stressed in any way. The treatment protocol will make you feel fresh and rejuvenated. It will also regularise the lipid levels.
This will automatically build your confidence levels.
I hope this answers your query.