Suffering from eye strain when working on computer. Using anti glare glasses. Prescribed with eye drops. Suggest

HI Doc, I have been suffering from eye strain from last 3 years especially when working on computer(I work for 8 to 9 hours a day), I have been to various doctors, I was prescribed anti glare glasses, but after using them my eye pain became worse, so I was asked to stop it and I was prescribed some tube and eye drops for one month, but my condition didn't improved, please advice me what to do. Thank you,
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is computer vision syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic Iam Dr. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. I reviewed the history given by you. It seems from the history that you are having computer vision syndrome. It is basically seen in people who work for long hours in computer.It is because of dryness of the eyes as a result of exposure to the computer screen. The precautions you have to take to prevent or to improve computer vision syndrome are Avoid use of air conditioner or fan directly directed towards the eyes, as these will cause dryness Avoid use of computer or laptop at a stretch for long time, atleast take a break of 2 minutes after working for one continuous hour Use spectacles with antiglare coating, altrnatively you can use computer monitor with antiglare coating Avoid exposure to dust, smoke, wind... Position the screen of the monitor below the level of the eyes so that the light from monitor does not fall totally on your eyes Do frequent blinking while using computer The treatment of the condition is by use of artificial tear eye drops probably which were prescribed for you. You need to use the eye drops regularly atleast two times a day. If the condition is not improving even after taking the above mentioned precautions and use of artificial tear eye drops, then next modes of treatments have to be considered. The next mode of treatments are Use of punctal plugs to retain the tears to prevent dryness of eyes Use of antiinflammatory drugs Please do consult Ophthalmologist with specialization in Cornea and Refractive surgery for further evaluation and do discuss with him and he will be able to decide and guide you for further management depending on the severity of the condition. Hope the information is helpful to you. If you have any other queries I will be happy to answer. With regards Dr. Dadapeer K