Suffering from extreme headaches, nausea, anxiety and lump in back of neck. What is going on?

ENT Specialist
For the past 4 years i have suffured from extreme head aches every day , nausier, uncontrolable mood swings ,anxiety and depression and i have 11 peas size lumps on my limp nodes on the back of my neck, sides of my neck and now infront of my right ear inline with my eye. The lumps have been around for the full 4 years and my dizziness and tiredness is beyond a joke. i have been to many doctors and i am sick of going to various doctors
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 43 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. I would definitely rule out diabetes, hypertension, thyroid problems, sleep apnea, sinus problems and migraine. Can you describe your headaches in greater detail?

2. Neuralgias are treated with different painkillers, anti-depressants and anti-epileptic medications such as Amitriptyline, Carbamazepine and Gabapentin. Have you had a trial of these medications? Migraine is treated with different pain-killers. Have you been treated with ergotamine, flunarizine or a class of drugs known as triptans?

3. Since you have many other symptoms (such as disequilibrium, general feeling of being unwell, tiredness, headaches, anxiety, mood swings, occasional vertigo, multiple lymph node enlargement and nausea) , you must get an MRI Brain done to rule out any intracranial pathology.

4. Migraine and migraine associated vertigo or disequilibrium will require a Neurologists' opinion and you may also be advised an EEG (Electro-Encephalo-Gram).

5. Thare are many causes which can lead to such symptoms: Anemia (Low Hemoglobin), Blood pressure problems, low Vit B12, abnormal calcium levels, Hypothyroidism, Prolonged use of Oral Contraceptive Pills and so on. A major cause is very unlikely at your age.

6. If your disequilibrium lasts all day or occurs while walking, it may be central (brain related) in origin. True ear vertigo is a spinning sensation. Ear related vertigo usually occurs in short bursts and with change of head position such as lying down or sitting up. Can you describe your dizziness in detail?

7. The most common cause of the small pea sized lumps in the neck will be inflamed lymph nodes. There are about 300 lymph nodes normally present in the head and neck region. The se lymph nodes are normally not palpable. After an infection or inflammation, they increase in size and rarely regress to their earlier size and hence are always felt thereafter. Other painless lumps include the salivary glands, thyroid nodules, laryngoceles, cysts, bursas, lipomas, and so on.
Get a physician's opinion. Get Neck X-rays and an Ultrasound of the Neck done by a Radiologist. Sometimes a CT Neck Scan will be advised to rule out deeper extensions. A FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) by a Pathologist will settle the diagnosis. Sub-centimeter sized lymph nodes are considered harmless. The most common FNAC report is non-specific lymphadinitis.

8. You may follow up with your examination and investigation reports here for further treatment options.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Suffering from extreme headaches, nausea, anxiety and lump in back of neck. What is going on? 10 minutes later
Thank you
I have had An EEG scan and it came up normal. my blood pressure is perfact usually, and i have had my thyroid checked but something you bought up sounds familiar.
I started my contraceptive pill 4-5 years ago and its been the last 2 years were my symptoms have gotten worse. and my lymp nodes only decrease in size when im on my period when i am off my white tablets so maybe that may have something to do with that. The head aches usually start suddenly like i have been kicked in the side of the head . but other times i will just wake up with it.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Do write in with the follow up.

2. Review your contraceptive pill use and other medications with a physician. OCPs are meant for spacing children and not for long term use.

3. Waking up with a headache or a sudden onset 'thunder clap' headache is a sign of a severe headache and requires thorough investigation. Get a neurologist's opinion as soon as possible.