Suffering from extreme cold sweats and chills. Why is this happening?

Mo mother, 79, is suffering from extreme cold sweats and chills for months. No fever, no cance, no tbc-excluded.
What do you think?

Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Cold sweats and chills in elderly can be an absolutely normal finding. Elderly people do have lower viral infection which your mother might have suffered in the recent past. The cold sweats can be the result of weakness arising out of such an infection.
Cold sweats and a very low body temp can indicate an under-active thyroid - this is the gland that regulates our metabolism.You need to get her thyroid levels checked.
Another common reason is environmental factors, such as too many covers or Vitamin B 12 deficiency.
You can consult her physician for related investigations to detect the cause.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Suffering from extreme cold sweats and chills. Why is this happening? 6 hours later

Thank you for your replay but it does not help. I am myself MD and all what you suggested was already considered and checked. Everything.
And once again those are extreme sweats liters and this is not normal. Even in older people.
With regards

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
My suggestions were based on the history provided by you. My judgement here is severely limited in the absence of a physical examination.
You may also get her evaluated for diabetes.
At times it becomes very difficult to comment without actually seeing the patient.
There is no substitute for an examination to really find out what is going on.
Follow-up: Suffering from extreme cold sweats and chills. Why is this happening? 6 minutes later
Thank you! No diabetes!
with regards
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
The other possibilities are menopausal syndrome, idiopathic hyperhydrosis or autonomic neuropathy. Phyto estrogens may be helpful in decreasing the episodes.
Best Regards.