Suffering from extra pulmonary tb, not agreeing on treatment. What to do ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
my sis s suffrng frm extra pulmonary tb, but not ready to accept it and doesnt want to tk treatment
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Extrapulmonary TB is a serious infection and needs immediate and extensive treatment with anti tubercular drugs immediately. No treatment will further add to the complications and may cause spread of infection to all other family members too.
You must take her to a DOTS center for a proper and complete treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Suffering from extra pulmonary tb, not agreeing on treatment. What to do ? 34 hours later
HIV negative, we are giving her Akurit4 twice a day, but since she is not accepting the disease we are making the powder of tablets and mixing with food. Now my query is will it be effective if she takes it unknowingly with cooked food?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It is better to give the medicine mixed with with food rather than not giving it at all. It will be best if you could give it to her on an empty stomach as that will show a better efficacy.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from extra pulmonary tb, not agreeing on treatment. What to do ? 16 hours later
Thanx for your reply.....I understand that it s less effective when given with food,since we are left with no choice we had to follow this way, my query is will this be cured? if yes how long will it take to be cured?

Hello.
Yes, she will be cured if she continues taking medicines regularly without missing even a single dose. In extrapulmonary TB, it takes one year or more of regular treatment for full cure.
Wishing your sister an early trouble free recovery.
Best regards.