Suffering from excessive hunger and dizziness. Aortic valve replacement and bypass surgery done. Concerned

Patient complains of excessive hunger and dizziness like feeling because of which he is not able to do his activities like walking & other stuff. He does not have BP and he isnt a diabetic.
He had underwent aortic valve replacement & byepass surgery 6 months back.
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later

Excessive hunger and dizziness without any features of depression / anxiety features, without any past history of depression / eating disorder / anxiety (I presume, correct me if I am wrong) needs to be evaluated. We need to rule out organic metabolic / endocrine condition like pheochromocytoma or episodic hypoglycaemia.

You can test blood sugar during the period of excessive hunger and dizziness and then consult an endocrinologist for evaluation.

Sleep disturbances, if associated with anxiety / depressive features need to be treated with antidepressants. In the age of 72 years, may be newer serotonergic antidepressants would be helpful.

If there are no features of anxiety / depression, low dose non benzodiazepine sedatives like zolpidem / zopiclone or trazodone, etc., may be helpful.

Hope this answers your query. Please let me know if you have any additional problems as I mentioned in my answer so that we can discuss further.

Good luck !!