Suffering from excessive hair loss. Is the hair loss caused by hormonal issue or something else?

Question
I've had sudden excessive hair loss & thinning for past 2 months or so. Full strands fall out with light tug, washing, drying, etc. Earliest dermatology appt not until Dec. Had thyroid and hormone levels checked (see results listed below). Thyroid is normal. Hormone levels appear to fall in post menopausal ranges but I haven't gone thru menopause yet as I have been getting a monthly period but has been extremely light for past 4 months. Had a prolonged menstrual period in May and was prescribed a 14 day course of Provera. Periods have been light ever since. I used to have painful cramps, clots & breast tenderness and could always tell when I was getting my period. Haven't had any of that since the Provera. Recent PAP test was normal. Had extreme stress related to unexpected 3 day hospitalization in May for unrelated issue. Is the hair loss caused by hormonal issue or something else? How long might it last...I'm afraid all hair will fall out. Labs Results: FSH: 53.6 LH 24.8 Estrogen: 25 Progesterone: 0.20 TSH: 1.95 Free T4: 0.83 Total Testosterone: 20 Testosterone Free: 1.4 Testosterone, Bioavailable: 3.0 DHEA Sulfate: 26
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 3 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Hair loss can be due to many different reasons. Hormonal abnormalities can also lead to hair loss. Hypothyroidism is the most common hormonal cause of hair loss. There are other rare hormonal causes as well. The reports you have given rule out any hormonal abnormality leading to hair loss including hypothyroidism. So your hormones are not directly responsible for hair loss. There are so many other causes for hair loss it becomes difficult to attribute it to any particular etiology without proper investigations and evaluation.Many times we treat hair loss without actually not being able to determine the cause and it works. So I suggest that you can start treatment for hairloss even if no obvious cause is found. As far as the duration of hair loss is concerned it may last for 3- 6 months if treatment is given amd longer if not treated. There are a few home remedies for hair loss which can be found easily on internet. You can try them till yoi consult your dermatologist. I'm confident that you hair loss will subside with proper treatment. So dont worry hope for the best.
Shivaprasad