Suffering from excessive facial hair. Prescribed mediherb powder to detox my liver. Remedy?

Hi, I'm a 51 year old women and have an increasing problem with facial hair. Mainly on my chin and just below. I have it removed constantly, unfortunately it regrows. My alternative doctor (MD) told me I had higher levels of something called SBGH? I was prescribed a mediherb powder to detox my liver. I'm sure it helped my health but did nothing to help the facial hair.
I'd appreciate your advice.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Your condition is known as hypertrichosis, or excessive hair growth. The first thing to make sure is if there are any secondary causes of it, mainly hormonal problems. For this purpose, FSH, LH, testosterone and DHEA levels can be checked, along with a through clinical history including similar features in female family members, and a physical examination that should include a pelvic exam. Your age is 51, so you either is close to menopause or already there; levels if estrogen, the female hormone that "keeps hair away" drop significantly during that stage of life, which might be the cause. If no secondary causes are found, medical treatments may include a low dose contraceptive pill to provide hormonal assistance. Laser hair removal or electrolysis tends to be very effective if secondary persistent causes are ruled out or addressed accordingly.

SBHG is sex binding hormone globulin, a protein that transports male hormones such as testosterone.

Hope this helps; wish you the best health blessings.

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN