Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Could it be linked to STD?

Dear Doctor, Help me ! I am a bit scared, frankly, what do I do? I am experiencing an issue very embarrassing, to do with not being able to have an errection in sexual situations. This has happened 3 times in the past month with 3 different women, all of which I considered extremely attractive. Before this past month of situations I have never had a problem getting an errection in a sexual encounter. I have always been a very sexual person and stimulated easily. All three very embarrassing situations happened at different times of the day; once at night very late, another mid day and another early morning. The first situation I thought was just due to sleepiness, until the next 2 situations. Each time, when I wasn’t able to get an errection I felt more or less numb in the penis head, which is usually very sensitive, I found myself unable to feel pleasure nor be aroused at all (completely limp) despite repeated attempts by the females.
Information about me: I am a straight male, just turned 30, extremely active/ very athletic (use the gym , bike , surf , sports everyday), do not take any illegal drugs, drink alcohol about 1 time per month, do not smoke. I am taking protein powders off and on for 8 months, been taking creatine off and on for 8 months, engage in sexual encounters with women 2 +/- times per week on the normal. I have engauged in unprotected sex on occasions (try to use protection always). I do not have any stress in my life nor financial worries. About 6 months ago had bumps around my genitals which ended up being Molluscum Contagiosum from unprotected sex. Help! This does not seem normal. Is it my age, Is there a possible link to a sexually transmitted disease?

Sincerely, very concerned
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 25 minutes later

I do understand your concern

Anyone in your place would have been concerned for the same

From your description, it seems apparently, that no evident psychological reason like stress etc are there ( except multiple relationships and partners, sometimes may be a probable association)

However you mention that you have sports injury, particularly lower back. Can you clarify when was it ?

And did you have ever injury to pelvic area ?

Because, the lower portion of spinal cord (structure within the back bone) contains nerve roots (namely lumbosacral nerves) control erection. Damage to these nerves can cause such problems

Bumps around genitals and diagnosis of molluscum contagiosum may again be responsible, if this have affected the "nervi erigentis", the nerve plexus on penis, responsible for erection.

These issues can be solved by doing an investigation called penile doppler study. Here the doctor will perform a specialised ultrasound after injecting some chemicals to penis and will measure the blood flow in penis. I still consider a primary evaluation from doctor and necessary tests now.

I am available for further clarification in due course after getting the answers to the questions

Good luck

Follow-up: Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Could it be linked to STD? 19 hours later
Dr. Susanta Padhy, Thank you for your quick response, it is very much appreciated. My lower back injury was to the lower spinal cord and pelvic area about 13 years ago (I was 17). I have two disks that are disk on disk as discovered from an ex-ray about 5 years ago. My left pelvic area does slid out of place often and I have to go to the chiropractor to have my lower back adjusted. I have not had the no sensaction in my penis issue until now, is it possible that it could not have been an issue for so many years until now? I haven't thought about this. I threw my lower back / pelvic area out about 1 1/2 to 2 months ago lifting and throwing... If this is possibly the problem, what could I do from here / are there any options other than surgery? (please point me in the right direction)

As far as the bumps go, they were around the genital area, none on the penis shaft and none on the penis head. I am not sure if that helps. Could it be a sign of any other type of STD not having feeling / being limp occasionally?

I am not sure if this is helpful, but I have had intercourse other times in the past month that were not an issue, 3 to be exact... so 3 times my penis functioned normal and 3 times my penis had no sensation.
Again, I really appreciate your response and time to answer my questions.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 25 hours later
Thank you for the clarification.

The nerve root affection that I was talking in my previous answer, if affected, may not necessarily give any sensation problem in penile shaft. But it can affect the visceral nerves that are controlling penile erection.

Moreover as disc problem are known for fluctuation; it is advisable to consult an orthopedician or spine specialist, who might do a fresh investigations like MRI, etc., and can compare with previous reports. And then your doctor can come to conclusion.

It may not be a realistic problem solving approach to come to conclusion that surgery is needed without assessing it in detail.

Presence of bumps in genital area can point towards Sexually transmitted diseases. Biopsy of the local area will confirm or refute it after consulting a dermatologist

Hope this will actually guide you further. I am available for further clarifications.