Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Advised penegra 50. Is this due to testosterone deficiency ?

Hello Doc,

I am suffering from Erectile dysfunction since two and half years. My family physician suggested that my ED could be because of diabetes and advised me to take Penegra 50 when ever I wanted to have sex. Penegra worked for me however I consulted a sexologist looking for a permanent solution. The sexologist advised to to take Penile Doppler test. I strongly feel that this disorder is due to testosterone deficiency because I also suffer from loss of libido and energy. I also lack ambition and always feel tired.

Please advice if I should go for a penile doppler test or for a testosterone test.
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 25 minutes later
Hi, If your libido is indeed poor, and if you are feeling tired with poor drive, you could be suffering from 'male menopause' - In which case a 8AM blood test for Serum Total Testosterone is justified, and advisable. If the testosterone levels are indeed low, you should ideally get it repeated again, and get both Total and Free Testosterone checked. If the values are below normal, replacement with testosterone gel or injections helps in improving the libido, and drive, and a general sense of well being. You might not require Penegra if you have no erectile dysfunction, but quite often, because erectile dysfunction exists independently of male menopause in diabetic patients, you might have to take Penegra or some suitable brand to have better erections. A penile doppler is advised if you have no erection response with oral PDE5Inhibitors like Sildenafil. I feel you do not need it right now.
Hope this has been of help to you.