Suffering from epilepsy. Not cured by oxetol. Any suggestion?

Nov 2013

Good afternoon Sir!
since last 23 yrs i am suffering from epilepsy with a frequency of 11/2 yrs to 2yrs.
initially i was not serious. i am Oxetol ( 450 ....900) My present body weight is 92kg.since last 7yrs.still I am getting the attack at same suggest oxetol vs tegretol pl suggest me
Posted Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Epilepsy is a chronic disease and treatment is required for a long duration.

The correct dose of Oxetol (oxcarbazepine) or Tegrital (carbamazepine) is 10-20 mg per kg body weight per day. As your weight is 92 kg, the lowest dose for you is 900 mg and the highest dose should be 1800 mg per day. However, after 1200 mg per day, the side effects are more.

Both Tegrital and Oxetol have almost similar efficacy, but I prefer Oxetol, as it has less side effects.

If Oxetol alone is not able to control your epilepsy, we may have to add another drug such as levipil (levetiracetam).

I hope it helps you. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Suffering from epilepsy. Not cured by oxetol. Any suggestion? 1 hour later
Sir! prolonged use of OXETOL 300( 1-0-2) my body may got used to you suggest to change the drug.
regards. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Oxetol is safe over long periods of time. So, if your seizures are well controlled with Oxetol, there is no need to change the drug. If your seizures are not controlled, then levetiracetam is a good alternative.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)