Suffering from endometriosis. Taking premarin. Blood test done. Having abdominal pain, constipation, weight gain

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
It's a very long story so I will try to make it brief. I suffered with endometriosis for 10 years, had 4 laparoscopies and my gyno said I needed to have a hysterectomy at age 36. He immediately put me on the highest dose of Premarin. I took it for 13 years with little issues. Not realizing that Premarin feeds the endometriosis, I started having endo symptoms a year and a half ago. Went to my gyno and expressed to him I thought my endo had come back. He suggested I have blood work done as well as a pelvic sonogram. My blood work showed I am anemic and my cortisol was off the charts. Still having endo/abdominal pain,constipation,weight gain,mood swings etc he finally said it must be a gastrointestinal issue. Of course because he never explained to me about Premarin feeding endo!
I am now seeing a holistic dr. In XXXXXXX tx. Had a full blood work up done again and she has me on many supplements. But I'm still feeling bad. Gaining weight still, pelvic pain,night sweats bad.

I forgot to mention I have weaned myself off of Premarin sinceMarch.

Please help!
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 6 hours later

You are correct - premarin stimulates endometriosis. Premarin which contains estrogen can stimulate endometriosis. However since you have withdrawn from it, it may be responsible for few of your other symptoms such as weight changes and night sweats.

Nevertheless, there are options to treat it.

Progesterone is the hormone which decreases the endometriosis. There are many preparations available in the market. We have progestrogen tablets / injectables, progesterone analogues as well as androgens available to treat endometrosis. You can discuss about the cost effectiveness of various preparations with your gynecologist.

In the interim, you can continue with the holistic approach. They can benefit you.

Work with positive thoughts and a qualified gynecologist nearby should be able to treat you rightly.

Good luck
Follow-up: Suffering from endometriosis. Taking premarin. Blood test done. Having abdominal pain, constipation, weight gain 15 hours later
Thank you. I have all the signs and symptoms of menopause. Could my body be going through menopause now or have I already gone through it?
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 10 hours later

Menopause occurs at the age of 45 to 52 years. If a lady has not had menstruation for one year, it may be regarded that she has attained menopause.

This may be confirmed by hormonal study of Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)

If the menopause is confirmed in your case to alleviate the symptoms you may use HRT) in consultation with your gynecologist.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Good luck