Suffering from endometriosis. Not cured by cerazette. Will it be safe to take qlaira?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi I am 35 yrs old and has been suffering endometriosis since I was 23 and as a consequence I have to take pills. I currently have alot of cyst which in complex is around 6cm in size and my gynea's said they are perhaps endometriosis again. I am now taking Cerazette for 6 months and still bleeding. I wish to know if you have any updates regarding the effect of Qlaira for the endometriosis patients, for I am evaluating to change my Pills to Qlaira. Thank you so much for the help.

Mrs. G
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Endometriosis can affect the ovaries sometimes forming cysts.
This type of cyst is called as chocolate cyst or endometrioma.
When cyst is smaller in size < 4cms, medical treatment can be opted.
But in case of larger cysts surgical treatment is better option as there is possibility of rupture or torsion of the cyst.
For more details:http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/08/chocolate-cyst-or-endometrioma.html
Cerazette are progesterone only pills and Qlaira is combined oral contraceptive pills.
If your doctor suggest you can use Qlaira which can decrease the symptoms like menorrhagea when used continuously by stopping the periods and creating pseudo pregnancy state.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Suffering from endometriosis. Not cured by cerazette. Will it be safe to take qlaira? 48 minutes later

Dr. Sree, I am informed that Cerazette is a Mini-Pill (I have tried combined oral contraceptive pills in the past).

One last thing I wish to know if you have any good reviews regarding the effect of Qlaira for the endometriosis patients.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 hours later
XXXXXXX pill is nothing but progesterone only pill.
As Qlaira is not available in India I cannot tell clinical experience, but here are some articles according to which Qlaira is not useful in endometriosis because of higher estrogen content.
Reference:http://www.edoc.co.za/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4003
But you can follow your doctor's advice as she may be having much information about it and treated cases of endometriosis with Qlaria.
Other medicines can be used are Gonadotropin releasing hormone agonists, Danazol etc.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.