Suffering from dry mouth and erosive lichen planus. Having blisters on mouth. Using clobetasol gel and biotene spray. Suggest

I am plagued with dry mouth and erosive lichen planus. My tongue has small blisters around the perimeter and is swollen. I currently use clobetasol gel for the lichen planus and biotene spray for the dry mouth. What else can I do? This is driving me nuts. I am 67 and take medication for diabetes and high blood pressure and thyroid.
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. Given the intensity of the flare, you should consult with the provider that commonly sees you for the lichen planus (eg. Dermatologist of Internist) and determine if you may benefit from a small burst (short course) of systemic steroids. If this is the case, some adjustements on your diabetes regimen might have to be made for the short term.

Hope the advice is useful, wish you the best,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN