Suffering from dry cough, breathing problem. Taking montek lc. Suggest effective medication

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013
Excellent

Question
I am suffering from breathing problem accompanied by dry cough since November 2012. According to a family physician its a kind of respiratory allergy. He suggested me to consume one tablet of "MONTEK LC" daily for 1 month. But it has been more than 3 months I am taking the same medicine. If I do not take the medicine I feel breathless and suffocated. I am also avoiding smoke/dust by wearing pollution mask whenever I go out of my house. Please suggest suitable ailment for this problem.
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 35 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
At what time cough is worsening?
Do you have fever/ chest pain/ running nose or blockage of nose/ irritation in throat?
Do you have feeling of slippage of liquids from nose via throat to food pipe? It is known as "Postnasal drip" in medical term?
Are you a smoker or past history of smoking?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of Cough variant asthma/ COPD/ Postnasal drip/ irritation of central cough receptors.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ chest physician and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, chest x XXXXXXX spirometry, XXXXXXX and angiotensin converting enzyme.
Use of bronchodilator is needed or not is decided by clinical examination.

Cough variant asthma (CVA) is a type of asthma in which clinical examination and all relevant investigations are normal and patient makes complaints of chest tightness and suffocation.
Inhaler bronchodilators are the preferred choice of drug for CVA.

Meanwhile you should take codeine sulphate, benzanotate, and decongestants.
You should avoid cold drinks, sour and oily food.
Perform, gargles three times in a day; a glass of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Suffering from dry cough, breathing problem. Taking montek lc. Suggest effective medication 10 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

First let me answer your questions:
1. At what time cough is worsening? EVENING
2. Do you have fever/ chest pain/ running nose or blockage of nose/ irritation in throat? NO, NOTHING AMONG THESE
3. Do you have feeling of slippage of liquids from nose via throat to food pipe? It is known as "Postnasal drip" in medical term? NOT AT ALL
4. Are you a smoker or past history of smoking? I NEVER SMOKED

Let say, if I do not consume the tablet (MONTEK LC) tonight. I will feel suffocated by tomorrow evening. I feel like rushing out of my house in open air. I feel chest congestion and I can hear the sound from my chest. I can feel there is a kind of blockage inside me.

I am presently staying in Bangalore. Is it something related to my geographical location. I mean I have heard people saying that North Indians get respiratory allergies here. I am in Bangalore since July 2011.

You have written down a lot of tests. Can you suggest me some lesser number of tests based on the answers to your questions I just wrote here.

Thanks & Regards,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 hours later
With the described details, there appears to be possibility of Asthma.
Montek LC is helpful by inhibiting allergen induced reactions.
Geographic variation regarding any place are very common and can be better defined by local people and doctors.
With the available information, there appears to be need of complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, spirometry and chest x XXXXXXX
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Suffering from dry cough, breathing problem. Taking montek lc. Suggest effective medication 13 hours later

Thanks a lot for these suggestions.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 9 hours later
OK thanks,
Get well soon,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava