Suffering from drug induced psychosis. Doctor treated is as schizophrenia. Suggest a natural product?

My Grandson suffers from drug induced psychosis and has for 4 yrs his doctor was treating it like schizophrenia which has made him worse . I need help
I would prefer to use natural products
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need some more information to answer

Detailed Answer:

I can understand the agony your grandson and you had gone through.

Schizophrenia is a type of psychosis.

Psychosis whether drug induced or schizophrenic in nature, antipsychotics should help.

If it is drug induced, low dose antipsychotics for short duration of treatment is sufficient, provided the patient is off drug that is causing psychosis (LSD can very well cause psychosis).

Psychosis will worsen if coexistent psychosocial problems are there ( as in your case).

Can you please clarify the treatment details, how was the response and symptoms in past / current ?

I will await your response
Follow-up: Suffering from drug induced psychosis. Doctor treated is as schizophrenia. Suggest a natural product? 12 hours later
He has been in and out of hospitals 12 times for 30 or longer. He has been off drug for a year and a half. He was in jail for over 4 months in a cell by his self because of the psychosis. XXXXXXX never had any problems until he turn 18 started using weed then his girl broke up with him .He did 2 hits of acid then started ecstasy and other drugs the meds they have had him on is olanzapine,invega pills and shots mirtazapine risperidone zyprexa trazodone celexa haloperidol divalproex all of these drugs seem to make him worse. A lot worse .He also has PTSD because of the rape in jail . He was just 19 ,he has never been in trouble loved school and a A & B student. He feels he don't need anything . I have a therapist
that come to our home 1day a week.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Second opinion about diagnosis may help

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for detailed information

If he takes substance along with antipsychotics, then antipsychotics may not show response. And if this is so, then you will be under a false impression that no medication is not working

Kindly answer the following :

1) Tell me that ever was he off substance contentiously for 4 weeks ? and how was psychotic symptoms during that time ?

2) Whenever he increases substance consumption, does psychotic symptoms get better even if he is not taking antipsychotics during that time

Usually, psychosis and PTSD rarely coexist

I would suggest to seek second opinion from another psychiatrist about the diagnosis

I am available for further discussion
Follow-up: Suffering from drug induced psychosis. Doctor treated is as schizophrenia. Suggest a natural product? 2 hours later
But he has been off drugs for 18 months , He did seem to get better then he started using again and now we have psychosis . and PTSD do you think it could be PTSD and not psychosis , It was a bad situation and has yet to talk about it . that is why I have the therapist .. They told him if he talked they would kill him.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
answer detailed

Detailed Answer:
Had he taken substance just before few days or weeks when the psychosis started again. If so, substance induced psychosis can be a possibility where antipsychotic would be the main treatment

Technically speaking, as I already told you, diagnosis of psychosis and PTSD at one point of time, is not tenable.

But PTSD like symptoms can be there in psychosis which should go away with adequate treatment of psychosis. And in such scenario, "talk therapy" about the incidence would be partly helpful, but is not the main treatment modality

Hope it is clear now