Suffering from dizziness. What is the cause and cure?

Nov 2013

Hi I have had dizziness and tend to fall over unless i correct myself by external means and when I get out of a car I feel totally giddy and my legs feel like lead.I can't drive for more than 30 minutes before i feel to dizzy to go on.
What do you think might be the problem?

Posted Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 48 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely cause for your dizziness is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). This is due to minor problem in the middle ear. Symptoms of dizziness tend to get aggravated with sudden movements of head and neck. It can come in episodes.

Symptomatic relief can be obtained with tablet betahistine. For preventing the recurrence of dizziness, vestibular rehabilitation exercises are useful.

In addition, conditions such as anemia (low hemoglobin), low BP should also be excluded.

If you have risk factors such as diabetes, high BP or cholesterol, then we should rule out decreased blood supply to brain too.

As of now, there is no need to worry. Please consult a neurologist for evaluation.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist