Suffering from diverticular disease for a prolonged period. Having numbness. Proper treatment?

I have a numbness in my lower mid section for no apparent reason that seems to be more prevalent over the past day or so. . I have had diverticulitis for several years. Since my doctor told me about medimucil, I have taken a teaspoon/tablespoon daily. Never had pain since. Thought I was imagining the numbness for a day or two now it seems to be there. Is this a symptom of divertycultis. never felt this numbness before. Is this a symptom of anything else?
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 2 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic.
Thank you for your query.
I am sorry to know that you are suffering from diverticular disease for a prolonged period.

The most of the diverticular disease is asymptomatic.
The usual presentation are discomfort,constipation,fullness,cramping pain & sometimes patient present with complication like bleeding,infection,perforation,obstruction etc.
But numbness is not a recognized feature of this disease.

If you are still constipating, then again you may take medimucil.
It is a bulk forming laxative.
I think this will help you & the numbness may be subsided.

The numbness may be due to the disease itself or due to some other causes like IBS,neurological origin or non specific abdominal causes.
Proper abdominal examination is needed for better evaluation.

It is wise to consult your concerned doctor.
I think I have been of some help to your query.
Please write if you have another query.