Suffering from diarrhoea, brain fog and sleepiness. Could it be due to gluten or lactose?

I HAVE INTERMITTENT DIARRHEA, BRAIN FOG, SLEEPINESS. I don't know if these symproms are related or not. I don't have them all the time and not all at the same time. But the brain fog seems to be for a couple of weeks during and after my menstrual cycle. The diarrhea is usually a few times a week, every week. I've tried keeping a food journal but can't find a correlation. Doesn't seem to be gluten or lactose.
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

With symptoms of brain fog , sleepiness , intermittent diarrhoea,these are the possible differential diagnosis I can think of:

1.Depression /Anxiety disorder
2.Irritable bowel syndrome
3.Thyroid disorders
4.Premenstrual Syndrome
5.Side effects of certain medications.

I hope your blood pressure and blood sugars are under control.

I think it would be best if you could visit your physician . Definitely worthwhile to get a stool routine examination,complete blood picture, cholesterol levels and thyroid function test done.

Hope I have answered your question. In case you don't have any further queries, kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan