Suffering from diarrhoea. Feeling dizzy and numbness in arm. Am I having food poisoning?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I think i Have food poisoning since I have diareah and for some reason I feel dizzy and my two arms feel numb
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Although you haven't mentioned the food you have consumed and the severity of diarrhoea ( wether watery, foul smelling ,frequency?) the fact that you have dizziness and tingling numbness indicates a significant problem.
You could be dehydrated or having an electrolyte imbalance causing such symptoms .
The ideal or best next step would be to get yourself evaluated by your doctor who can examine your pulse , blood pressure , hydration etc , carry out stool test or blood investigations if needed and start appropriate management .
If you are unable to do so for any reason then atleast start with the following ,
1. Drink sips of oral rehydration solution ( WHO recommended ORS) throughout the day to keep yourself hydrated in addition to water , soups or other fluid intake .
2. Take a probiotic ( lactobacillus etc) like enterogermina or bifilac etc twice daily .
3. Take a multivitamin and zinc supplement once daily
4. Antidiarrhoeal capsules like racecadrotil twice daily as per prescription if diarrhoea is severe.

However if within 24-48 Hours of such supportive treatment the symptoms persist or meanwhile if there is any worsening of symptoms then it's best to consult a doctor promptly.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
In case you have no further queries kindly accept my answer.
Follow-up: Suffering from diarrhoea. Feeling dizzy and numbness in arm. Am I having food poisoning? 13 minutes later
OK for the diareah issue I've already went to the restroom at least 9 times this whole day. Starting from 1pm to I would say 11:30pm and it's all watery every time. Also for the food I'm not really sure I believe or would be 4 very small muffins that had nuts with a cup of milk. What I've taken so far to help me hydrated are Vitamin Water and also water and also for the numbness in my forearms its still there but not too much like a tingly feeling but numb a little and I also feel dizzy when I walk. P.S. it's 2:45am and I can't sleep because of this.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 22 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes dairy products can most probably cause food poisoning and Feeling dizzy does indicate that you are significantly dehydrated.
Considering the time and feasibility I assume you have no access to avail any of the treatment I mentioned above.
In that case you the best step would be to consult any emergency facility for appropriate management .
Vitamin water is not the ideal solution for rehydration as its fortified sugar based water. Who recommended oral rehydration solution( pedialyte) etc are better for maintaining water and electrolyte balance. At home a simple salt sugar solution can be made ( 1 pinch salt, I spoon sugar in 1 glass of water ) which can be taken as sips in addition to water & vitamin water.
If you can access some or any of the above treatment over the counter then you may wait till tomorrow .
Another possibility is that you could be having a food allergy ( most nuts can cause) , in which case an antihistamine like cetrizine or chlorpheniramine ( avil , Benadryl ) might decrease the symptoms. However in that case too the treatment of diarrhoea would be the same.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Suffering from diarrhoea. Feeling dizzy and numbness in arm. Am I having food poisoning? 13 hours later
OK well I know for sure I don't have food poisoning since nothing else has happened but I know for sure is that I have Diarrhea and I'm feeling sick like a small fever and coughing every once in a while any suggestions on what I can eat/drink or do to get better?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
It's most likely an infectious diarrhoea if accompanied with fever and cough more likely viral than bacterial.
You should feel better in a couple of days with following ,
1. Drink plenty of water and if feasible oral rehydration solution in sips every 10 minutes throughout the day.
2. Eat non spicy less fatty easily digestible diet like cereals ,yoghurt , soups , fruits like apples and bananas and pomegranate which help in reducing diarrhoea.
3. Avoid or minimize dairy products and oily food .Also take five small meals rather than three large meals( eat frequently but in less quantity)
4. Take a probiotic and bcomplex and zinc supplement ( as already mentioned)
5. Take a mild antiinflammatory antipyretic like acetaminophen ( Tylenol ) thrice daily to reduce fever and inflammation .
6. Take steam inhalations and warm saline throat gargles thrice daily for relief from cough. Some antihistamine syrups containing chlorpheniramine or cetrizine might help.

If your symptoms worsen or do not decrease after 2-3 days then please consult your doctor for ruling out a bacterial infection which needs a course of antibiotics like Cefixime or ofloxacin etc.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Thank you do much you have been really helpful to me. I am starting to feel better since I don't have diarrhea anymore only a little bit not like before. The thing I have is the fever and cough but like I said that its nothing to worry about. Thank You Again.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 10 hours later
Thanks for the appreciation.
It's my pleasure to be of any help to you.
I do think that your symptoms are resolving well & you should be absolutely fine in a couple of days .please do maintain plenty of fluids ,adequate rest and a nutritious diet in your schedule for faster recovery.
Wishing you good health .