Suffering from diarrhea, weight loss. What treatment should be done?

General Surgeon
have a friend intractanle diarrhea x 6 months seemed to remiss slightly for few months - now back full force - has lost 67 lbs over last 6 months - food in - food out - now in hospital dehydration repeated colonoscopies do not seemed to indicate an disease process
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 11 minutes later
As per your query,your friend has diarrhoea since 6 months.
Because of loose motions,she might have gone into dehydration.
As colonoscopies are normal,these loose motions can be due to infection of gut due to contaminated food or water.
As per her past medical history,she had artery stent.
So,she might be taking several medicines after these procedures.
They may cause loose motions too.
So,If you come back with the drugs that she is taking i will clarify further
Wish her good health and speedy recovery
Nothing to worry
Follow-up: Suffering from diarrhea, weight loss. What treatment should be done? 20 hours later
my apologies - I spelt intractable wrong - I do not know her meds - has been on them for many years - her valve surgery was 5 years ago - this persistant and debilitating diarrhea can ususally be traced to a malignant process in bowel or perhaps a thyroid medullary cancer - but tests up to this point have not determined that this is cause - yes she is absolutely dehydrated - which is why she is presently in hospital - lost 67 lbs in 6 months - had short span of possible remission - with some formed stool - but it returned - as I said before food in - food out - has also in past been tested for infectious causes.

HELP !!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 3 hours later
Usually diarrhoea is due to malignancy of large intestine.Whole length of the large intestine will be visualised by Colonoscopy.As colonoscopies are normal,malignancy of large bowel is excluded.
Cancer in small intestine is rare.They will not produce diarrhoea of this intensity.
If there is suspicion of medullary carcinoma of thyroid,Calcitonin measurement will confirm the diagnosis.
Many medicines will cause diarrhoea.So,drug history is very important.
Once her symptoms are controlled this time,ask her to take Pre and Probiotic capsule daily after discharge.
Hope it will come down.
Wish her good health