Suffering from diarrhea and burning in lower stomach. Had flu. Suggest

I had the flu several days ago,i vomited the first day but am fine now,but every so ofte i get this burning in my lower stomach,also i still get a little diaria
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO worries as for now. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, It is not rare to experience some degree of diarrhea with flus. This however depends on the type of virus causing the flu, which is generally of viral origin. A little diarrhea should not be a major call for concern at this point in time. I would suggest if the intensity and the severity has been reducing, it would be advisable to watch carefully for symptoms to fade out. This should rarely go above a week or so. IN case of persistence, your doctor might be compelled to run other tests like a stool examination and a complete clinical review all over. But this is however rare. The burning sensation in the lower abdomen needs a careful assessment. IT is probable that this should be a viral inflammation of the messenteries (messenteritis), the support tissue of the intestines. This tissue contains lots of lymphatic tissue, which is a main tissue of predilection for virus. Considering the recent notions of flu, symptomatic treatment and watching carefully as symptoms evolve are sufficient for now. Drink lots of water and take mild analgesics in case of pain. Anti diarrheal agents like Loperamide are not very necessary at this point since the diarrhea and fluid loss i snot intense. Feel calm and ok for now, as symptoms generally fade out within a week. Fluids remain the mainstay of the management. However, do not hesitate consulting your doctor in case you notice anything unusual, or if symptoms persist or aggravate. Please, do feel free asking follow up questions in case you got any specific concerns. I would be glad to make my humble contribution to your well being. Thanks and kind regards. DR Bain