Suffering from diabetes mellitus, CAD, kidney failure and arthritis. Suggest a safe analgesic

Excellent

Question
my wife patient of dm,cad,ckd,htn , she at times gets bouts of arthiritis, can she be given disprin dissolved in water for pain relief, could you please suggest a safe analgesic for her.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 52 minutes later
Thanks for posting query to this forum,
Your wife is suffering from, Diabetes Mellitus, Coronary artery Disease with angioplasty 3 years back, High Blood Pressure, and Kidney failure.

In Kidney failure analgesics should be avoided if her kidney functions are compromised which is known by Blood urea and serum creatinine level.
Disprin can damage kidneys further; please do not give it.

Acetaminophen (Paracetamol) is only relatively safe which should be given in consultation with Physician/ Nephrologist, other drug is tramadol which may be taken by renal failure patients with advice of treating Physician.

The decision of medication also depends on what other drugs she is taking and also depends on severity of her kidney failure.

Hope this is useful for you, if you have any further query please ask me, I will be happy to help you.

With best of Regards.
Dr. A. Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Suffering from diabetes mellitus, CAD, kidney failure and arthritis. Suggest a safe analgesic 15 hours later
THANX DR. MY WIFE'S CREATININE IS GENERALLY IN THE RANGE OF 2.5-3 AND AS HER Hb HAS BEEN <9.5 SHE HAS BEEN ADVISED WEEPOX 4000 INJECTIONS ONCE A WEEK . IF DISPRIN IS NOT SAFE FOR CKD PATIENTS, WHAT ABOUT ECOSPRIN 75 ONCE A DAY WHCIH HER CARDIOLOGIST IS GIVING HER

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 3 hours later

Thanks for your follow up,

I can understand your concern about use of aspirin, the risk of cardiovascular disease, including heart attacks, is high in CKD.

Many doctors (including myself) believe the benefits of taking a low-dose daily aspirin probably outweighs the risks. Moreover there is no evidence that a low dose of daily aspirin (75mg) hurts the kidney. Nonetheless, it is still recommended to avoid using NSAIDs (including aspirin and other salicylates) in large doses or for extended periods of times.

I hope you can understand reason why Ecosprin 75 is given to her by cardiologist, but we need to avoid high dose of analgesics.

If she needs, paracetamol alone or in combination with Tramadol may be used for pain in consultation with your Nephrologist.

Hope this clarifies your doubt and if there is anything you want to know please ask, I will be available to clarify.

With Best Regards.
Dr. A. Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Suffering from diabetes mellitus, CAD, kidney failure and arthritis. Suggest a safe analgesic 19 hours later
thanx dr. u have been very helpful.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 31 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,

You are welcome.

I am glad that you found this useful, please rate my answer with review before closing this discussion.

Regards.
Dr. A. Dubey. M. D.