Suffering from diabetes. Took citapin. Got HBA1C level. Can I take metformin?

Hello Doctor...

I am a 33 year old and first time in a routine Medical test in office I come to know I am suffering from Diabetes. for initially I haven't taken any medicine and just start diet control and that time my HBA1C level were around 6.4 to 6.8 in around 12 month span.. in Feb 2012 I started feeling severe thirst and followed by very frequent urine. I consult with doctors and thy told me it due to diabetes and given me medicine 1 CITAPIN 500 ( MATFORMIN) daily.. I have taken this tablet around 1.5 month and my HBA1C come around 5.8 and my symptoms gone better but not completely stopped.. A another doctor has given me GP1 1/2tablet daily before breakfast. and I am taking this medicine from April 2012 to till date continuously and my HBA1C is running around 6.2 to 6.6 depends on my diet control.. In some consultation I come to know that in my age rather than going on GP1 I should go for Metformin as GP1 basically sucks the body insulin which is not better in long run and I could face more problems in future... Kindly suggest what I should do is that GP1 is better or Metformin.. Please suggest I also attached my current complete medical report for your reference.

Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
beta cell preservation

Detailed Answer:
.Dear sir/madam

Welcome to healthcare magic

Your diabetes duration is small. Your age also plays a vital role. Metformin is an insulin sensitizer which has got beta cell preservation. But your GP 1 contains glimieperide 1 mg which stimulates beta cells. If you want to preserve beta cells and still want to control hba1c then you can add gliptins like sitagliptin, vildagliptin or saxagliptin along with metformin.
Now even American diabetes association recommends the use of gliptins as second line of drugs instead of glimieperide. Even gliptins can reduce glycated hemoglobin upto 1.2.
So conSult your doctor once and discuss the options available.

Hope information is helpful

Feel free to ask quiery

Follow-up: Suffering from diabetes. Took citapin. Got HBA1C level. Can I take metformin? 2 days later
Thanks for your reply

I just want to know further that what you suggest in what way of treatment I should go for and is there is any side effects of above said medicines.. like Metformin, GP1,or gliptins etc
Secondly is there any method, way or procedure by which I can improve the my pancreas functions without medicine.. by natural way.. or
how long I have to go on medicines. is it life long.. ? or what I can do to get rid of medicines

Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Beta cell preservation

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir

Every medicines have got side effects like
GP1 - more of episodes of low sugars
Metformin - Gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea, metallic taste etc
Even gliptins have got side effects related to gastrointestinal

Dont worry, it will occur in rare cases.

Secondly you can preserve pancreatic function by reducing glucotoxicity. That means you need to avoid spontaneous increase in blood sugars.
For eg - Intake of more carbs causes rapid increase in sugars

Thirdly insulin and gliptins can preserve betacells along with metformin.

Hope information is helpful