Suffering from diabetes. Not controlled after taking complete diet. Looking for advise?

Hi, My Wife Suffers from Diabetes, Doctor Advised to Complete Diet for 2 Months & Exercise Daily. When am Checkin Sugar Level. Fasting Sugar Level: 170, After Food ( 2Hrs ): 205. Please Advice me its Controllable or Not? Pl Give Me the Advice for the Same.. Have 10 Months Baby..
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
The blood glucose levels that your wife is having are high and need to be controlled with diet and regular exercise. In case the levels do not come back to normal then medicines are needed for treatment. Initially insulin therapy may be required to control the levels of blood glucose.
The main Objectives of Diabetic diet are
1. No fasting or No feasting;
2.To maintain adequate nutrition;
3.To achieve and maintain desirable body weight.
4.To maintain normal blood sugar levels.
5. It is important to control the amount and time of food intake. Take six small meals instead of three big meals which are equally time spaced.
Foods to be avoided: Glucose, sugars, honey, jaggery, all sweets, chocolates, ice creams and candies.
Foods to be restricted: Vegetables like Potatoes, yam, arbi, sweet potatoes; Fruits like mango, bananas, sapota, seethaphal, and avocado .Alcoholic beverages, carbonated beverages ,fried foods, Dry fruits and nuts, salad dressings like mayonnaise, cream ,etc, cakes and pastries, Tender coconut water, Refined flours like maida .Papad, Pickle, soda bicarbonate, MSG, sauces, Ketchup’s. Non-veg: Red meats, organ meats (liver, kidney), shell fish like prawns, crabs, lobster and egg yolk.
Foods to be used freely: XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, tomatoes, cucumber. Radish, carrot, homemade soups. Tea, Coffee without sugar, and skimmed milk, buttermilk. Whole wheat flour, Ragi, Corn flakes, Wheat flakes. Artificial sweeteners not more than 4 numbers/pellets per day. Use Low sodium salt only.
It is best to start with regular aerobics at least for 30 minutes daily five days a week.
All these measures will help in controlling these levels.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.