Suffering from depression, hair loss and poor concentration. What is the cause and treatment?

Hello, I have been masterbating for some years. Now I am facing problems as depression, poor concentration, less enjoyment in life, lethargic attitude, reduced muscle mass, gentials become insensitive and smaller, exhaustion, hair loss, does not want to be in a group of people. No interest in sex and always want to sit alone. What is the root cause of this problem and what is the treatment?
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your symptoms, it appears that you are suffering from a major depressive episode. However, before planning further treatment, a little more analysis is required as to what has triggered this or predisposed you for this depression. You also seem to have some issues regarding your masturbation and sexual functioning. So, in order to understand your problems better, I would like to have the following clarifications...

How long have you been having these depressive symptoms?

How did it start? (suddenly or gradually?)

Was it preceeded by any recent stressful situation?

Have you had any similar episodes in the past?

How often do you masturbate now? Have you ever felt that you are doing it excessively and want to stop / reduce it?

Do your suffer from any guilt due to your masturbation?

Other than the decreased sexual interest, are you able to have a satisfactory erection and ejaculation?

Do you consume alcohol or any other substances of abuse?

Do you suffer from any known medical problems or are you under any treatment currently?

Please get back to me with these clarifications, so that I can advise you further regarding the cause of your problem and further treatment options.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Pychiatrist
Follow-up: Suffering from depression, hair loss and poor concentration. What is the cause and treatment? 32 minutes later
I have these symptoms for 4 years gradually and it is getting worse day by day. I did not want to stop masturbating, but now there is no drive for masturbation. No morning erections, I used to have strong erections before.

I masturbate may be once in a month or once in two months. But there is no pleasure as earlier. I would say I don't have that much strong erection and I don't get the pleasure while ejaculation as when I was normal. Hair fall is not only from scalp but from all over body as well.

I don't consume alcohol or any other abuse substances.

I am not undergoing any other medical treatments for any other diseases now. Also if I lay down in bed I am hearing my heart beat or i would say some other XXXXXXX vibration in my body.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 7 hours later
Hello again and thanks for your clarifications.

After reviewing your clinical details, it appears that you could be having two problems. One is the depression which is obvious by the decreased interest, low mood, lethargy, fatigue, poor concentration, preferring to be alone, etc. The second problem, which is characterised by the markedly decreased sexual drive, genitals becoming small, reduced muscle mass, generalized hair fall, etc. could be indicative of a hormonal problem (i.e. a "hypo-androgenism"; "hypo" means decreased and "androgens" refer to the male sex hormones). It is also possible that this hormonal problem itself could be an indirect cause of your depression.

My advise to you would be to have a thorough endocrinological evaluation which should include a complete physical (including genital) examination, blood tests for Testosterone levels, FSH / LH (hormonal) levels and a Semen analysis. If there are abnormally low hormonal levels, then you may need appropriate depressant medication which can help you come out of this depressive phase and you don't have to be suffering in silence when there are good treatment options available. The pounding heartbeats (called palpitations) and the vibrations in your body could be anxiety-related and very often anxiety symptoms are common in depression.

So, please consult your GP to discuss about the further evaluations and specialist management. You will need specialist referrals to an endocrinologist and a psychiatrist for detailed evaluations and further treament.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist