Suffering from depression, feeling pressure in head and dizzy. What should be done?

ENT Specialist
I have a post flu sort of depression and at times feel like I have pressure in my head and also occasionally a bit dizzy or faint
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

The symptoms you have described above could be related to blockage of the paranasal sinuses following an attack of flu.

Post flu there would be nasal congestion, which will block the opening of the sinuses. Blockage of the sinuses causes stagnation of the sinus secretions leading to pressure in the head and dizzy feeling.

My advice to you is:
1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, which helps in reducing the nasal congestion, clearing of the mucus and reducing the cough.
3. Avoid coffee and chilled beverages.
4. A mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus.
5. An anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for headache and throat pain.

If the problem persists even after the above measures, please consult your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon