Suffering from depression and tiredness. Should I consult a psychiatrist?

I have a father, but he has done so much to me in the past that I haven't been able to forgive him. He was a cocaine addict for much of my youth, and it still leaves scars. I can still see the looks he would give me when I would ask him questions when he was using. About two years ago, I got really depressed. I always felt tired, and I never wanted to do anything. I get the feeling many times now, and it has caused me to miss out on opportunities in life. Which gets me feeling more down about myself and my life. When I told my mom I wanted to see a psychiatrist, she jumped down my throat and got very defensive. This is the reason I no longer talk to my family about any of my problems; they just won't be helpful and listen. I am in college now very far away from home, but I don't feel any happier, but I don't feel happy at home either. Getting back to my father, I typically start to get really fond towards older guys and older men because they feel like big brothers and fathers to me. Is it weird to do that? I also have trouble telling my dad I love him. I know he loves me but I just can't say it back to him. I keep everything bottled in because I literally have no friends that would sit down and listen. I cry almost every night, but during the day I try to hide whatever it is that is going on. Do you think it would be worth seeing a psychiatrist? Is it weird that I search for an older brother or father figure? How do I get out of this slump because its affecting my life tremendously?
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 20 minutes later
Thanks for your query. I understand the stressors you have been facing throughout your life. The fact that you are searching for a loving and compassionate elderly figure is understandable by the fact that you have been deprived of the same by your father. Many of the symptoms you describe are typical of a depressive disorder. Hence I would strongly advise you to consult with a psychiatrist for diagnostic evaluation and particularly rule out depressive disorder. Also you can request for what is called family therapy a modification of interpersonal psychotherapy to sort out the differences with your dad and to address the dys functionality in the family. Hope you are clear now. Wish you all the best.
Dr Sundar