Suffering from depression and anxiety. Family history of depression. Is it safe to take eglonyl?

My daughter has a 5 month old (super,non screaming ) baby boy but she is going through serious depression and anxiety
her friends recommend taking eglonyl but I am cautious as there is a history of depression in my family and I dont want her to necessarily go with her friends advice.
Your view please
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later

Give her symptoms, treatment is definitely indicated since this can become worse and she could slip into a really bad state. At this stage, while psychotherapy remains an extremely important part of the treatment, we may also need some medication. We would generally use SSRI's like fluoxetine etc, but the choice of drug, the duration of treatment would be best decided by a consulting physician who can examine her.
It is recommended to take her to a physician for better management along with psychological counselling.

Let me know if you have any more concerns.