Suffering from depression and ADD. Having anxiety attack. Should I consult a psychiatrist?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am currently suffering from depression and ADD symptoms. I am a XXXXXXX in college and I can not sit still in class or do my work outside of class.I also suffer frequent anxiety attacks where I resort to binge eating and it makes me extremely depressed. I have taken a friend's adderral and it helped with both problems a significant amount. Do you recommend seeing a psychiatrist to get a prescription for aderral and what are other alternatives?
XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 7 minutes later
Hello.........
Thanks for your query. Attention deficit disorder and depression often co-exist. Adderral is combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine that fall under the class of psychostimulants and effective for ADHD. However, i would strongly suggest you to undergo an evaluation by a psychiatrist since you seem also suffer from an independent anxiety disorder, probably panic disorder which needs to be managed on independent lines. Also, there are other alternatives for treatment of ADHD like methyl phenidate. Hence, over the counter drugs are strongly discouraged and XXXXXXX a psychiatrist at the earliest for complete evaluation and management. Do clarify further if required.
Dr Sundar
Psychiatrist