Suffering from depression. Took high dose of paracetamol. Urinate on bed. Is this normal?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have been battling depression now for some time, I have recently been signed of work and see various people on a week. On Thursday night, 2 nights ago I tried to overdose, taking 5000mg of paracetemol I have not told anyone about this. I just passed out no vomiting. I now have woke up to find I have wet the bed. Is this an effect of my actions or depression? Or something else?
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
The toxic dose of paracetamol is highly variable. In general the recommended maximum daily dose for healthy adults is 4 grams. Higher doses lead to increasing risk of toxicity. In adults, single doses above 10 grams or 200 mg/kg of bodyweight, whichever is lower, have a reasonable likelihood of causing toxicity.
However, patients often have no specific symptoms or only mild symptoms in the first 24 hours of poisoning.The second phase occurs between 24 and 72 hours following overdose and consists of signs of increasing liver damage.Acute kidney failure may also occur during this phase, typically caused by either hepatorenal syndrome or multiple organ dysfunction syndrome.
In your case though the dose ingested is not very high and you do not seem to have signs of liver toxicity like vomiting , bleeding tendency etc there is a likelihood of renal toxicity . You need to consult your doctor and get yourself evaluated to rule out any significant toxic effects . I would recommend you not to stop your medications without consulting your physician as this itself could cause a rebound due to withdrawal of the antidepressant medications ( like sleep disturbance , autonomic disturbance like bladder control problems etc).
Without a thorough examination the exact cause of your bed wetting cannot be ascertained and you should not neglect your symptoms as of now.
Please do consult your doctor as soon as feasible.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask any further queries.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Follow-up: Suffering from depression. Took high dose of paracetamol. Urinate on bed. Is this normal? 34 minutes later
The thing is I can't tell anyone, because they have already said the next step will be to hospitalise me. plus I don't want to tell anyone because I wouldn't be able to try again now I know what is fatal. That sounds bad but I don't see a future. I don't want to be here for Christmas
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 13 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
Please do not lose hope dear.I am sure you will see this Christmas as well as many more , you are just 22 yr old. Whatever you are feeling is not you , it's an illness . Depression is like any other illness and is treatable only you need to be determined to fight it.Imagine a person having an infection , refusing to take antibiotics and wanting it to heal by itself . It's difficult and in some cases even fatal , same way you need to get your depression treated first so that you can think about your future. At this point of time your depression is making you take such risky steps , hopelessness , worthlessness and helplessness are symptoms if depression. Please do not misunderstand them to be your own emotions . I am sure in a few years of therapy with a good therapist you won't feel the same. If you don't feel like going back to your doctor consult a new one or atleast confide in your family or friends to someone close and I am sure they will find the best medical help for you without making you feel guilty.
Please do not give up, you are very much worth this life!And there are millions like you who have not given up and achieved a wonderful life ahead.
Wishing you all the best