Suffering from dengue, jaundice and this has effected kidney, with low platelet count. What is the cure?

Hi Doctor, My mother aged 52 is suffering from Dengue, Jaundice and this has effected her kidney slightly (Infection in kidney). Doctor also checked her reports and told me that my mom's platelet count is gone low.
What is the cure?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 37 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your health concerns.

Currently, there is no effective vaccination for dengue fever and no specific antiviral (antibiotic to kill the virus) therapy. The treatment is what we call supportive: hydration, controlling pain, and carefully assessing for bleeding complications, in which case patients might need blood and or platelet transfusions.

The immune system eventually develops protection against the virus. Since there are different types of the same virus, an individual can be infected by one type and then later on in life re-infected by another type, which is known to increase the chances of bleeding complications.

Prevention is key. The vector are mosquitoes, so all measures that help decrease mosquito population (eg. eliminate containers with fresh water) and contact, such as wearing protective garments and repelents, are paramount.

Hope this helps with your query, wish you and your mom the best health,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic Rochester