Suffering from dengue fever. Platelets decreases from 1,31,000 to 0000. Will it increase latter?

Critical Care Specialist

my brother is suffereing from dengue fever from last sunday. We have consulted doctor and he has recovered from fever But yesterday it platelets were 1,31,000 and today it is 0000. Doctor is saying it is usual and it falls upto 0000 later it's get increased. is this correct?
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ninder S Chawla 2 hours later

Yes, it’s true that in dengue usually platelet count falls downside. You should get your platelet count investigated daily or alternative day.

Many cases patient may required platelet transfusion also if there any active bleed found or if platelet count less than 0000.

Besides that, you should get your brother investigated; because if it is untreated it can also lead to sepsis or multiple organ dysfunction - symptoms fever, reddish patches over body, reduced urine output, blood in sputum / urine / stool, etc. Generally investigations such as complete blood count (check for haemoglobin, total leucocyte count, platelet), renal function test, liver function test, viral marker (HBsAG, HCV, HIV) and ultrasound abdomen may be needed. Discuss with his treating physician.

Symptoms including platelet counts improve once he recovers from infection.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Follow-up: Suffering from dengue fever. Platelets decreases from 1,31,000 to 0000. Will it increase latter? 1 hour later
Hi Sir,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

We consult the physician daily.

But our worry is, after the start of taking medicine the platelet is reduced.

can he travel for 12 hours to reach my home town in the bus with dengue fever?

Answered by Dr. Ninder S Chawla 9 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
With such a low platelet count, I would suggest that you do not travel by bus.
If there are no symptoms such as fever, weakness, bleeding and other symptoms, then it’s better to use a train (for an AC coach) or a comfortable vehicle. Also, you should be travelling with someone.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further questions I will be happy to help".
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health