Suffering from dengue. Noticed change in stool colour. Looking for suggestions

Hi Doc, my ant is sufferring from degue, but now fever is gone she is feeling good now. BP is also normal, but her platlets are redueced to .8 from 1.05 (while in fever) and her stool is XXXXXXX now. While there is no as such pain for any other thing while passing the stool.
I shall be very much thankful for your kind suggesion
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The color of stool is related to the presence of a substance called bilirubin (it is one of the components of bile).The bile travels through the intestines and the bilirubin can undergo chemical change that can affect the color of the stool, these changes are affected by the speed at which the contents of the intestines pass through the intestines.
If it passes at a normal speed the contents are brown, if it passes quickly the contents are XXXXXXX XXXXXXX stool can also be related to foods or supplements ingested XXXXXXX leafy vegetables contain chlorophyll which can result in XXXXXXX stool, food dyes in some food, iron supplements or foods with a high level of iron can also cause this discoloration in some persons.
Normally it is monitored to see if it continues, if it persists beyond a few days or is associated with any other symptoms, then your aunt may want to consider visiting her doctor for an assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Suffering from dengue. Noticed change in stool colour. Looking for suggestions 36 minutes later
Is this any how related with Dengue.. and if it is then what is the remedy.. Kindly suggest.
Currently her platlets count is = 70k but she is feeling good and better that earlier.. Apprantly it also been seen some piece of papaya what she had taken some time earlier but this time colour of stool very close to normal colour.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 hours later

There is no particular remedy, it is best just to observe to see if the XXXXXXX discoloration continues, in most cases it resolves on its own. You already noticed that she has since passed a stool that is almost normal in colour, this is likely to continue and improve.
Dengue is not known to be associated with abnormal colour of stool.
Her platelets should continue to rise, her doctor will no doubt continue to check them to ensure that they return to normal.

I am glad that she is feeling better.
Feel free to ask any other questions