Suffering from daydreaming and missing stuff. Have ehlers danlos syndrome. What treatments should be done?

Excellent

Question
Hi, My son daydreams a lot and to the detriment of his school work. Everyone is noticing and at times when he comes back to Earth he can at times have a huge temper. I think it is some sort of panic attack about daydreaming and missing stuff. We have seen a psychologist whom recommended a neurologist. The neurologist says his MRI and EEG are normal. We do not know where to go to now. He is in primary school, year 6. How do we stop the daydreaming? It can happen anywhere at anytime but not it seems whilst he is playing on computer or playing sport - like interacting physically with things. It only seems to happen during thinking times. We obviously were worried about brain damage after a serious anaphylaxis biphasic event where his co2 was 83%, needed to be put in a coma, incubated, given an adrenaline drip as the 8 shots hadn't work. He came out alright it seemed after about 15 hours in ICU. He is very large for his age, 12 and has a joint condition very severe apparently - Ehlers Danlos Syndrome so he has two left feet with most physical activities. Can someone please help us stop these trances or daydreaming, please?
Not sure what category this was so just picked General.
Trudi
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The symptoms your child has when considered real day dreaming then a child psychologist can help with regular counselling sessions and behavioural therapy.

Absence seizures where the child looses consciousness for a brief period of time without closing eyes (starring episode) with out any post seizure defect.This is most often mistaken for day dreaming.

The EEG will pick this up , but for this to happen the child has to be instructed to hyperventilate (Breath faster) while recording the EEG.It is then the EEG can pick the abnormality. It is a well treatable condition.

The Carbon dioxide narcosis he had long back would not be related to the present condition, also same applies to the connective tissue disorder he has.

Do consult another Psychologist and a neurologist and discuss my above opinion.

Please get back to me if you have any doubts , I shall discuss to the depths it needs.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from daydreaming and missing stuff. Have ehlers danlos syndrome. What treatments should be done? 19 minutes later
Therefore, am I right in assuming that when he sits and stares, then comes back stating he doesn't know what to do could be another issue? He doesn't seem to realise usually when this happens and will argue about it actually happening.
The EEG operator did ask him to take large breaths but my son kept falling asleep during the test so the operator had to keep asking him to wake up as he needed to be tired for the test. Does this mean they could have received a false negative?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

"he sits and stares, then comes back stating he doesn't know what to do XXXXXXX

"He doesn't seem to realise usually when this happens and will argue about it actually happening XXXXXXX

The above experiences by you about the child are very typical and I am almost convinced that your child is suffering from Absence seizures. Children usually do not remember the episode.

Do get the EEG repeated , take care that the child is always being kept awaken and also active.Not always specially in children one normal EEG will be considered to rule out the condition. More than Two if normal then thought on other causes has to be considered.

Wish you good health.