Suffering from cough with mucus. Not cured by medicine. What should be done?

Sep 2012

I am suffering from cough with mucus since 1 month, it gets worse during evening and night. I tried many cough syrups, expectorant and suppresants, but, it not getting better.
Please help.
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
Thank you for asking a question.
Firstly, Cough syrup, expectorants, suppressants all of these drugs are not a primary therapy of this type of long duration cough and mucous.

Cough and mucous are just symptoms of an ongoing bacterial infection, an edema is formed due to inflammation caused by bacterial agent, when this edema and tissue fluids are excreted, they form viscous substance that causes cough.

Though from your symptoms it can be said that there is an infection, it is to be confirmed by clinical examination. Consult with a physician for that.

So, for treating this infection, you need to do the followings
1. Continue the grillinctus. 2 tsf twice daily.
2. You have to take levofloxacin ( 500 mg) group of antibiotic once daily for 7 days. I cannot name any particular brand-name. If you need that consult with a local physician.
3. If fever occurs then take paracetamol 500 mg tablet.
4. You have to inhale an inhalant agent containing Camphor+Chlorothymol+Eucalyptol+Terpinol+Menthol group of drugs. Take warm water in a kettle, give one inhalant in water. Inhale the vapour. Try to take it 2 to 3 times a day.
5. Take a pantoprazole (40mg ) group of drug once daily in morning before breakfast for 7 days.
6. Take a multivitamin like Beplex forte once daily for one month.
7. If the cough and mucous does not go away after completion of the course of antibiotic, consult a physician for physical examination, ordering a Chest X XXXXXXX Sputum examination if required and for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.