Suffering from cough, fever and choking throat. On antibiotics. Any suggestions?

ENT Specialist

Im 71yr old male, 81kgs. Im working full time.

Im suffering from a terrible wet cough with fever. The cough is not allowing me to sleep. Infact when I sleep on my back then I feel like my throat is choking. If I turn on either side the irritation statrts and I start coughing. Last night I went to sleep at 9.30pm mu usual time and I woke up like this at 12am then I was unable to sleep.

I was given a dose of antibiotics by the pharmacist Augpen 625 BID 1 tablet twice a day ; Deslor 1 tablet in the evening ; etizola 0.5mg 1 tablet in evening ; Ascoril Expectorant 1 tsp thrice.

I have been having this cold n fever since 4th Oct.

I do a lot of field work. So pls advise if I should rest and for how many days in order to recover fully.

I have had bypass in 1998 and sten in 2010. im also diabetic

My medications as Clopivas 75 once, Ecoespirin 151 once, Ripast 25 once, Imdure 31 once, Tonact 10 once, Aten 25 once, Galvas 75 twice, Tripide 1 twice daily.
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 42 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The symptoms that you are experiencing are due to a Post Nasal Drip (PND) which is probably secondary to a Cold and Sinusitis.

2. A PND will trigger off a cough after you lie down when it trickles down the throat causing irritation.

3. A differential will include mostly benign conditions such as acid reflux, lymphoid hypertrophy of the lingual tonsil (posterior one third of the tongue) and so on. Cardiac and respiratory causes for cough should also be ruled out since you are diabetic. Get an AEC (Absolut Eosinophil Blood Count) done. get an ECG, 2D Echo and Chest-X-ray done.

4. A PND also causes some gastritis and together with the acid reflux causes dryness and inflammation in the oral cavity and throat. This may also explain the discomfort in the throat. A PND, acid reflux and anxiety cause symptoms such as the 'globus' sensation in the throat and the constant uneasy feeling of the need to clear the throat.

5. The cough is typically dry, though occasionally the phlegm is prominent in the acute stages (you have a history of fever).

6. The simplest course of action will be a course of antibiotics, anti-allergics, anti-leukotrienes, anti-inflammatory agents, mucolytics, steam inhalation and medicated gargles and anti-reflux medication for a few weeks. Steroid nasal sprays are an option after the fever subsides. If there is no improvement I would like to review your CT images and Chest X-rays.

7. I must emphasize that you must review your medication as you are taking multiple similar medicines. Their interactions and side effects may also be affecting your health. For example, Blood Pressure medication is also notorious for causing severe cough.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.