Suffering from cough and running nose. Over the counter medicines works for 3 hours. Is this serious?

Hi, I ve coughing for a month, stopped exerting two weeks ago, because was impossible...during exercising i just could not breath at all and would almost faint, another weird thing is that while this weird cough does not go away the left and right side of my back has some small acnes that itches, as I am having a little bit of running nose and i am very allergic so I am taking two allegros a day , for my cough I ve taken everything over the goes away for 3 hours or so...but then comes back... i m so tired of coughing that my chest hurts just if i touch with my finger... Is this serious? SHould I go to the Er? Why my cough does not stop? What's is wrong?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult your ER immediately Detailed Answer: Hi dear, Thanks for your query. Since you are a known case of allergic rhinitis, it is a typical aggravation of the allergy, compounded by possibly a viral infection of nasal system, throat and lungs. The hacking cough is simply allergic cough, which will not respond to conventional cough syrups. It will continue till such time the possible viral infection is present. Intense breathlessness with even minimal exercise, demands IMMEDIATE visit to your ER. There may even be swelling around the throat, causing narrowing of the respiratory passage. If I were your treating doctor, I would have given you a combination of steroids and bronchodilator in inhaler form; anti-histaminics, such as, cetirizine and anti-allergic drug, such as, montelukast. However, in my experience, regular use of Azelastin nasal drops/spray has excellent response to allergic rhinitis. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Dr. Rakesh Karanwal