Suffering from cough and mucus. Prescribed Nasonex, Aerius and Ventolin. Suggest

ENT Specialist
Hi Dear,
I have 4 years old child she is suffering from cough and mucus. Now cough is stopped but she has lots of mucus in her sinuses and too much phlegm. She has phlegm since 2 months. I took her to a doctor and gave her medicine. Cough is stopped but phlegm still is there. Yesterday she was saying that she has a headach and more phlegm. I took her to a doctor he saw too mucus in her sinuses and gave her the followings:

Nasonex 0.05% nasal spray 1 puff a day for 6 weeks
Aerius 0.5 mg Syr 2.5 ml 1 a day for 6 weeks
Ventolin Solin 0.40 ml every 4-6 hours for 2 weeks
Saline 3 ml every 4-6 hours for 2 weeks
Augmentin ES 600 642.5/5ml 4.50 ml 2times a day for 10 days
Hexbio Sachets 3g XXXXXXX 1 Sac a day melted in a milk for one week

I gave her yesterday Nasonex, Aerius and Hexbio XXXXXXX (melted in her milk) but from last night she had a fever and a little cough started again. Please doctor I would like to know if she has to take all these medication? and how can I get red from phlegm?
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If she has fever, it will be better to discontinue the Nasonex nasal spray for a few days as it is a steroid nasal spray.

2. A mucolytic syrup such as bromhexine or ambroxol must be started along with supervised steam inhalation.

3. Paediatric nasal decongestant drops (xylometazoline) may be given for a few days.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.